When it comes to the most natural tooth replacement option, Drs. Carole and Robin Thoman often recommend the placement of dental implants. They offer key benefits for the long-term health and stability of your smile that should be considered when weighing your treatment options.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
- Improved Appearance
- Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth. And because they are designed to fuse with bone, they become permanent.
- Improved Speech
- Dental implants allow you to speak without the worry that teeth might slip.
- Easier Eating
- Sliding dentures can make chewing difficult. Dental implants function like your own teeth, allowing you to eat your favorite foods with confidence and without pain.
- Implants are very durable and will last many years. With good care, many implants last a lifetime.
- Removable dentures are just that; removable. Dental implants eliminate the embarrassing inconvenience of removing dentures, as well as the need for messy adhesives to keep them in place.
- Improved Self-Esteem
- Dental implants can give you back your smile and help you feel better about yourself.
Are dental implants a permanent solution?
Yes, dental implants are replacement tooth roots. Implants provide a strong foundation for fixed/permanent replacement teeth that are made to match your natural teeth.
What is the process of receiving dental implants?
- The first step is to surgically place the titanium post into the jaw bone. Once in place, the soft tissues will need to heal and a period of 3-6 months is average for both recovery and to allow the process of Osseointegration to take place. During this period, the new post integrates with the bone tissue to create a stable position in the jaw.
- Once the gums have healed, we will uncover the top of the post and attach an abutment. This collar-like piece will connect the post and the final restoration. We often allow several weeks’ time before placing the final dental crown or securing a new bridge or denture to be sure the gums are healed and stable after placing the abutment.
- Dr. Thoman will permanently secure the custom crown, bridge or denture at the final visit in the process. Once complete, your smile is ready to be shared confidently and will provide many years of stable oral health with proper dental care.
Do I need to maintain my dental implants?
Dental implants can be cared for like natural teeth and we will monitor the condition of the implant and surrounding tissues during routine preventive dental care visits. There may be special care instructions for certain types of implant dentures and we will go over these during your placement visit.